Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: 511B Mounting Angle??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member altec-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2008
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking 511B Mounting Angle??

    Finially put my A7's together with the restrictive port mentioned in a earlier post (GM -thanks for the advice) got the new Alu diaphragms from GPA- what a difference, I'll keep the symbiotiks for spares only. All I have to do now is remove the Loading Caps and place felt on the inside cover and I will be home and hosed.
    Now let's get back to the main title, I was playing around with the 511B's to see which angle was the best, either straight ahead or angled towards ear level at the listening position. What I found that when angling the horn down to ear level I seemed to get more HF beaming than if I had them facing straight ahead. Have other members experience this as well? Once this has been decided I will then cover the outside of 511B with 1/2" felt to reduce ringing.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 511B Mounting Angle??

    Greets!

    You're welcome!

    Right, most horns have a rising on axis response, which typically means it's response is flatter on axis and decays faster as you move off axis, so if you need a fairly wide 'sweet spot' and don't want a super tweeter system, it's necessary to severely toe in the speakers so that the left channel driver's axis is pointed in the vicinity of the far right seating position and vice versa. Any coffee table/whatever between the speaker/listening position can audibly effect the angle and sound-staging even with fairly high directivity horns, so if you need a place to lay things, best to make it very non-reflective such as a plush fabric covered hassock/ottoman/footstool or at least throw a heavy quilt over the existing one for set-up/critical listening.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.